Thursday, June 24, 2010

Barbarella 1968 REVIEW

Barbaareeeellllllllaaaaaaaaaaaa!! ! !
Oh man... I had SUCH high expectations for this film. However, I was disappointed to see how helpless and sex-crazed Barbarella was at times. *SIGH* Sure, Babs is hot and all, and has a smoking body that any female would be jealous of, but I am soooo over blondes. Especially when they support the "dumb blonde" stereotypes, `ala Babs





F*ck Barbarella! It's all about the Black Queen! For those of you that know me, I love black! Half of my wardrobe is black, and the other garments that are in color, rarely see the light of day. THE Anita Pallenberg plays the Black Queen, too, and if you don't love British Rock and Roll circa 1960-1970 then let me tell ya, Anita was an actress for Warhol, and equally importantly, class A badass certified Rockstar girlfriend to none other than the Rollings Stones guitarist (Captain Jack Sparrow's Dad) KEITH RICHARDS. They dated from 1967 to 1979 and have two children together.
But rockstar fame, comes with territory such as sharing drug charges, and being into black magic. That's my girl! She's so cool, she can be an honorary member of my BLBG club. That's Black Leather Bad Girls Club.







Anyways, back to Barbarella...the film was art directed in such a superb "this is what we think the future will look like from our 1968 understanding that the world will be all silver, and metallic in 30 years" which I can always appreciate. And the costumes?!?! Totally amazing. I loved each one of them! 


I also believe that they're working on remaking this film...not sure how that's going to happen. Robert Rodriguez is trying to cast his ex-mistress/current girlfriend as the lead, but he's getting in trubs with the studio. He wants her, they don't! Last I read, he got dropped from the film due to his insistence on using her.  Nepotism at it's best.